Departing Boot Key Harbor and the Florida Keys…

20120303-185555.jpg

NOAA is forecasting a strong northerly that will begin affecting southern Florida late this weekend. Basically, we either take this 2-day weather window to begin heading north, or we stay in Marathon until next Thursday.

So, early Friday morning we slipped our lines to the mooring ball at Boot Key Harbor in the Keys and began making our way north. We were one day short of staying one month. Laundry was done, we’d made a final grocery store run, our holding tank was pumped dry (we hope), and a diver had spent an hour the morning before scraping our (boat) bottom clean. We were ready to leave.

As soon as we passed under the Seven Mile Bridge into Gulf waters, we were able to sail. Ahhhh. This sailboat was sailing! We couldn’t have asked for a nicer day: sunny, warm, a steady SE breeze, dolphins appearing to swim alongside Thyme Hyssop & Wry. It was magical!

We sailed much of the way to Little Shark River, and anchored in time to celebrate happy hour. But those 44 nm made for a long day, and we would have to wake early to be underway at first light for the 55 nm trip to the Marco Island anchorages, where we plan to hide out during the high winds forecast to arrive later on Sunday. More on the Little Shark River later… –jes

20120303-185715.jpg

20120303-185640.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s